22 May 2011

Relief Society Challange: Read and Journal the Book of Mormom

A month or so ago our Relief Society Presidency issued a challenge: to read the Book of Mormon and keep a journal. I'm taking my time a little, but am accepting that challenge.

I really love the beginning of the Book of Mormon because I feel the excitement of the adventure Lehi's family is going to have. And, in just a few opening chapters you find so many examples of what it means to be a disciple of Christ:

  1. The surety of Lehi in asking his family to follow the Lord's command and leave their home for an unknown place. The Lord asked Lehi to uproot his family, leave their possessions and security behind and head to the unknown with just a promise. I need to listen for the promptings of the Lord so that I can act with that kind of faith.
  2. The time Nephi takes to know for himself that this is what God wants the family to do. It is so simple, but I need to be better about seeking a witness for myself of the direction I receive from scripture or Priesthood leaders is right. Even for simple things.
  3. The obedience and faith it takes to return to Jerusalem not once, but twice so that they will be successful in their journey and in their new home. When Lamen, Lemuel, Nephi and Samuel were sent back to Jerusalem for their family history and scripture, they may not have thought they were risking their lives. It is amazing they returned for Ishmael's family. That takes a lot of faith.
I am excited to read the Book of Mormon again and be reminded of these and other examples.

No comments: