18 February 2009

In this econony. . .

A Facebook friend recently posted that she was tired of hearing "In this economy . . . " but no matter how I try, many of my conversations start that way: In this economy you can't afford to do blah; in this economy you have to blah; in this economy everybody is blah blah blah. Well, it's true!

Tomorrow may be a milestone day for me "in this economy." My boss is coming to town and the assumption is that all of us will be laid-off. There was mixed reaction among my co-workers: panic, fear, laughter--that was me. Ok, maybe not the expected response. But, I would never quit a job to find my bliss. Hello, paycheck, health insurance, retirement plan. Endorphins rush! Yet, the idea of being laid-off, even "in this economy"makes me feel so light, and free. I know. Until reality hits. But my hope is that the reality of this lay-off will be something new and challenging.

Of course, we might not get laid-off with the continued security of a paycheck, health insurance, etc.

I guess I'll know tomorrow! Wish me luck.

1 comment:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

Well, whad'aya know... Once again "You've Got Mail" plays into this perfectly. There's the line where Birdie tells Kathleen that she's brave because she dares to imagine her life as something entirely different (when Kathleen's shop is closing and she needs to get an entirely different career).

I'm not sure if you'll necessarily have an entirely different career (or even a different job come tomorrow, could go either way?)... but the fact that you can experience a little lightness in the face of some potential (and quite serious) change shows that you are brave at heart. I admire that. I'm never brave that way.

Here's wishing you the best of luck... No matter which way things go.

I'm going to stop watching so much "You've Got Mail" now. Maybe more "When Harry Met Sally"? Lots of good lines there too.